Friday, May 30, 2014

The REALity of ADHD.


I have grown up understanding what ADHD looks like.  I became an Aunt when I was 9.  My cute little active and energetic nephew was diagnosed with ADHD sometime in early elementary.   I remember my sister telling me her first real experience in seeing the difference medication can make in her child.  She said she took Josh to the mall and he held her hand the whole time.   He wasn't running around....he was calm.   Maybe this is why medication didn't scare me much.   I am thankful for that.    I am also realizing ADHD is way more than what I thought.  

One of the big challenges at our house is helping the our other kids understand what Camden is really dealing with.   One of my friends sent me this link:  If your friend's say they have adhd just show them this..   When I read this I laughed out loud and thought "This is my Camden to a T!"  I love how the author states that ADHD is like "Living in a soft rain of post-it notes."   I have used this to help my older kids grasp why Camden can't always remember what he is suppose to do and he has a lot to say.    It is a work in progress. 

We are trying a new medication for Cam.  So far it seems to be working really well.  He is making new friends, doing well in school and working hard to develop his "responsibility skills".   I am excited about the progress and try to remember when we have a hard day that "Rome wasn't built in a Day".

We have made a final decision on school.  After looking at all the options and researching and reading and praying we are going to give public school another go.   We will start next school year with a 504 plan in place and our school is being fantastic about choosing the right teacher for Cam.  I feel like we are heading in the right direction.   I will also be in the classroom on a very regular basis to help the teacher and to have the opportunity to observe and see what skills we might need to work on at home.    One great thing about going through all we did as we were trying to make the best decision for our son...we learned a lot about homeschooling.   I know I could do it if we needed to for any reason.
I find great peace in that knowledge!




2 comments:

Kim said...

A soft rain of post-it notes. Lol. He'll learn to make one big list as he gets older. ;)
I have inattentive type along with a few zillion other issues. Much different in girls.
Glad to see that your public school is working with you.

SmallAdventures said...

HI Deirdra, I sent you an email. If you don't get it let me know.
:) Brenda