Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter



Today as I was driving Little Edward to the meeting place where I drop him off to his parents for a vist I was listening to "Sounds of Sunday". Glenn Rawson was reciting the story of Easter Morning when Mary Magdalene was at the tomb.
He recites.

"Two angels dressed in white ask her, “Woman, why weepest thou? …” (John 20:13)

Her answer reveals her anguish, “… Because they have taken away [the body of] my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.” (John 20:13)

At this point, Mary turns around and sees Jesus standing nearby, but she doesn’t recognize Him.

The Savior though comprehends her tears and pain, and is moved with compassion for her. “Woman,” He said, “… why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? …” (John 20:15)

Well, she thinks He’s the gardener with authority for these grounds and pleads with Him, “… Sir, If thou hast borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.” (John 20:15) And while saying this, she turns back and looks once more into the empty tomb.

“… Mary. …” Jesus said. (John 20:16)

Mary turns; she recognizes Him, and a torrent of light and joy flood through her soul – as exquisite as has been her grief for a long weekend. So now is the intensity of her joy.

“… Rabboni; …” she cries! (John 20:16)

And overcome with emotion, she runs to Him, desiring to hold Him, and express with her arms what she feels in her heart. She lost Him once on the cross, and she lost Him again when she thought His body was stolen. Never – never will she let Him go again!"


I realized as I was listening to this beloved story just how much I could relate to Mary.

In those moments of my life when I was in deep grief it was only the Savior's voice that lifted me. And once I was lifted up by Him I never wanted to be put down. I never want to go back to those days of pain and darkness. It was only through Him that I found meaning and purpose to my grief. Coming to know His will for my life changed my life.

I love this Arnold Friberg picture depicting this scripture.

"And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm."

Mark 4:39


I know that is what my Savior has done for me...He has calmed my storm and brought great peace.
I know He will do this for each one of us if we invite Him to help us.

On this Easter Day
I think of Him.

I Love Him.
I hope I can be more like him.
I want to be known as valiant in the cause of Christ.
(I loved that lesson today in Relief Society)
I hope I can gather all of those attributes that will help me stay close to him and never let Him go!
Happy Easter Everyone!

No comments: