Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Closure

I was in court again today...only this time it was for Baby A's case.


This is NOT my favorite judge.
When I am in this court I feel like I am looked upon as the enemy. I think this is a sad reality of fostering. Some foster parents have given fostering a bad name....they haven't been so great or try to "sabotage" the case so it will go in the direction they want. (At least this is what I am told) I am guessing this could be why this court feels like it does. But I have no idea. I feel like the attorney for one of the parents thinks of me as the "enemy" as well....he barely acknowledges me. Bugs me! I have been nothing but nice and have done all I could to make the transition for Baby A. as easy as possible and yet I am still the enemy. I would like to see this guy be a foster parent.

Ok I am off my soap box for a moment.


Today Baby A.'s case was closed. I didn't have to go to court but I needed to for my own mental health. I needed to see the end. I am glad it is over. I am happy for Baby A. and her Dad that they can go on with life. I called the Dad up afterwards and congratulated him and we talked. He is still ok with maintaining contact for which I am grateful! He sent his love to me and my family and I feel he is being genuine.
I am grateful our relationship has stayed positive...that is very important to me and my family.

So the case is closed..we saw it through to the end, even in those moments I thought the case was going to end me. :) Not really end me...but the grief has been intense. I did emerge from this case a new person, a better foster parent and a greater understanding of how love grows. So while the case is closed....my heart isn't. It is open to whomever comes our way.

The very BEST thing about court today was the little tiny babbling voice I heard in the background. This is the wonderful thing about modern technology...I could hear my favorite baby all the way from Miami Florida. Baby A. was jabbering and talking as her Dad was on the phone with the court. She sounds fun, sweet and happy!
That was worth sitting in the unpleasant courtroom.

2 Courtrooms, 2 cases in 2 days.
Time for Chocolate! :)

1 comment:

The Accidental Mommy said...

I think you are right, foster families are judged harshly and unfairly. I have never fostered, but worked for CPS years ago. The feeling was about fp's they are in it for the money (RIGHT!), or want to keep the kids for themselves.