Friday, November 12, 2010

Stuffed Buns Recipe - Kid Tested

I have a large selection of "Taste of Home magazine thanks to my wonderful Mother in Law.  So when I am tired of the same old thing I can grab my Taste of Home supply and find something new and yummy!  About 5 years ago I made this recipe for my family (that was made up of 2 parents and 2 kids back then....wow have we grown!) and they enjoyed it.   I then kind of forgot about it until recently.  I pulled it out of the cluttered "cookbook" cupboard and made it for dinner.
Guess what happened.........my kids sang praises to me and thanked me for making such good dinners.
Ahhhh...I love the sound of dinner success!
If you decide to make it for your family let me know what you and your family thought of it.

Stuffed Buns
2 pkg active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup warm milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1 tsp salt
3-1/2 to 4 cups flour
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
Directions:
Dissolve yeast in warm water.
add the rest of ingredients and 2 cups of the flour.
Beat until smooth.
Add remaining flour to form soft dough.
Knead until smooth and elastic.
Place in greased bowl until doubled (about 30 mins)

While dough is rising use your ground beef and make sloppy joe meat or just ground it up with onion (whatever you like).  
When the dough is ready divide it into 16 pieces.
On a floured surface roll out and stretch each piece until it is 5 inch circle. 



mine looks more like a square...lol

Spoon hamburger mixture into the middle of the dough circle.

Sprinkle your favorite cheese.


Gather dough around the meat.

Pinch the dough together at the top.
Turn them seam down on a greased jelly roll pan.
Bake 400 for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Ta-Da...you have stuffed buns!
Great with veggies (carrots are the favorite around here) or salad.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Erin said...

What do you put in the hambuger mixture?

SmallAdventures said...

This last time I made them I used turkey burger browned with onion. Then I mixed it with Baby Ray's bbq sauce (original) along with mustard and brown sugar. After placing it in the dough circle I sprinkled some shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
:) Let me know if you like it!