Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Family Moment ~ Making Owl Cookies.

We made sugar cookie dough during *Conference weekend but the kids were so entertained by creating their own art work for Halloween we didn't get a chance to actually make the cookies so we did it for Family Home Evening as a follow up to Conference.
   The kids loved every minute of it and the night was the kind I love...all of us together and everyone is happy!

I practiced making some cookies earlier in the day and realized again how cookie decorating is NOT my talent. But I also saw that this way of doing owls would be easy enough for my kids.  So many examples of owl cookies online were way to advanced for little ones (and even Mom's of little ones) so I stuck to the basic idea I saw at Kneaders...their owl cookies are decorated with a basic outline and then big eyes.  Simple but cute.  I didn't have an owl shaped cutter so I used a tulip shape.  Turns out an upside down tulip shape cutter with the stem cut off before baking makes really cute ghosts too! 
 In the end Brenley showed us all that she is the cookie decorator in the family but they all turned out cute, funny and very individual! 

*This activity was part of our Conference Countdown Hunt and Match Game.

No comments: