Thursday, February 5, 2009

I must confess....

I love everything Jane Austen!
I can't seem to get enough of the movies.
I love movies anyway...LOVE THEM!!!!
But a Jane Austen movie I can watch time and time again and never tire.
Regrettably...I was never introduced to Jane Austen (or any other author of her type or time).
I makes me sad when I realize what my teen heart and mind missed.
I was always deemed "average" by teachers.....
except for two.
Mrs. Huff and Mrs. Sainsbury
They saw something no one else took the time to notice...or maybe I finally let someone see.
Mrs. Huff opened the door for me...the world of writing was introduced and I have loved it every since.
If only someone would have opened the door to the world of literature.
In 1995 I watched a mini-series on A&E called "Pride and Prejudice".
The love affair with the Austen stories and period pieces began.
I feel like I am playing catch up.
If only they could have understood what I needed in school....I needed to be challenged.
Instead I was considered "average" and not motivated.
But being sad about the past doesn't change the future.
So I am enjoying what I missed and making sure my children will be acquainted with the good things in the library.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I love Jane Austen as well and the Bronte sisters. Like you, I discovered them later in life, but nonetheless, I read all their novels and am ecstatic every time a new movie is released based on the novels.

I have a book blog at https://seelizread.blogspot.com!!

Liz said...

Ooooops...there isn't an s in the internet address above!!

Toad, Lizard, Squidney & Emmaphant said...

The A&E Pride and Prejudice is the best of the P and P.
Let me recommed another good movie. BBC North and South based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell. (not the civil war movie!)
I have a difficult time deciding which movie I enjoy more...North and South or Pride and Prejudice. yes it is that good!