Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Keeping Student Loans local!

My sister who works for UHEAA sent this to me.
Please join me in calling our state representatives!

On Wednesday, April 22, people from all over the country will be calling Senators and Representatives to voice their opposition to the elimination of the FFEL Program and the nationalization of student loans. Please considering calling all five of our congressional representatives at the following telephone numbers. Of special impact will be any calls you make to our Senators, Orrin Hatch and Robert Bennett.

Senator Orrin Hatch: 202-224-5251
Senator Robert Bennett: 202-224-5444
Congressman Jim Matheson: 202-225-3011
Congressman Rob Bishop: 202-225-0453
Congressman Jason Chaffetz: 202-225-7751

You may not have ever done this before so to help, we’ve provided some talking points below. Please note that when you place your call, the receptionist may only have time to take your name and note whether you are for or against the elimination of the FFEL program. If this is the case, don’t be discouraged if you are unable to say all you wish to say. Your call matters!

Remember that these calls are to Washington D.C. and because of the difference in time zone, you should call between the hours of 7:00 am and 3:00 pm Mountain Time on Wednesday. Thank you for supporting this effort!!

Possible talking points:

1. “Hello, may name is ________ and I am calling from [city, state]

2. I am calling to express my support for the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program and my local agency, UHEAA.

3. I am opposed to the reconciliation “short-cut” now being considered in Congress which would eliminate the FFEL Program without any discussion or debate.

4. I think nationalizing student loans is the wrong approach. I support UHEAA’s programs helping Utah’s students and families plan and pay for college. Local people helping local people with student loans is better than a “one-size-fits-all” Washington D.C. approach.

5. Thank you for taking my call and please DO NOT support the elimination of the FFEL Program through the reconciliation “short-cut.”

No comments: